Want to Start a Business or Non-Profit, But Don't Know How?
The United States is ranked by the World Bank only 55th for Ease of Starting a Business
We feel your pain! .... Cleveland Score can help.
- Request free start-up mentoring at Cleveland Score
- If you prefer learning-by-reading, download Score Simple Steps to Starting a Business Workbook
- If you prefer listening/watching, take the free Score webinar series The Startup Roadmap
- Also, download Guide to Starting Up a Business in Ohio
- If you might not need traditional bank financing, need to first organize your ideas, or suffer from writer's block, learn about the one-page Business Model Canvas method; or view our one-page business plan webinar
Not Sure What Type of Legal Entity to Use?
- Learn how to form an Ohio LLC - Limited Liability Company: Download Guide to Starting an LLC in Ohio
- See more below if you are considering a 501C3 Non-Profit
- We recommend obtaining an EIN for your business from the IRS Get one online at IRS
- Definitely consider getting Business Insurance for more protection, even though you have a legal entity
- We also suggest you find the NAICS code for your type of business; the NAICS code is requested by IRS when you file taxes and is useful for market research and financial benchmarking
Wondering about Licenses, Regulations, Trademarks?
- Not sure what kind of Ohio licenses, taxes, and regulations for your specific kind of business?
- Wondering about protecting your Trademark or ServiceMark? Download Ohio Guide to Trademarks
Don't Forget about Taxes!
- Not sure about how to report Federal Income Tax for your business?
- Visit the IRS Small Business / Self-Employed Tax Center or the IRS Gig Economy Tax Center
- Wondering about Ohio Sales Taxes and other Taxes?
- Visit the ODT Ohio Department of Taxation Resources
- Still confused? Call the ODT Help Center - they are expert and very helpful
Looking for Funding, Legal Help, Accounting Help?
- Looking for Funding in Northeast Ohio? See Cleveland Score Hints & Tips on Finding Funding
- Think you might need an Attorney / Legal Services? See Cleveland Score Hints & Tips on Finding Attorney Services
- How about Accountant / Accounting Services? See Cleveland Score Hints & Tips on Finding Accounting Service Providers
- Thinking of hiring employees? See the Ohio Guide to Hiring Your First Employee
Marketing: Get Your Business Online Fast & Free and/or Certified!
- Apply now for a free GoogleMyBusiness GMB profile to put your business on the map
- Learn more about GMB Here
- Also see SCORE's Social Media Must Do's for Small Busineses for what to do next
- Also more on Online Marketing for Small Business Owners
- If your business qualifies, consider
Considering a 501C3 Non-Profit?
- See the SCORE Non-Profit Planning Guide and our NP resource library
- See candid.org learning resources, including their NP Self-Assessment Tool - Is Starting a Non-Profit Right for You? [may require free registration]
- In addition to State of Ohio non-profit requirements, there are also IRS requirements to obtain Exemption status.
- NOTE: an LLC entity-type will not be able to qualify for IRS 501C3 Exemption status
- Check if you qualify for streamlined IRS exemption including reduced fee by using Form 1023-EZ
Have More Questions?
- Are you thinking of a Franchise?
- Learn about Copyrights at https://www.copyright.gov/what-is-copyright/
- Are you an Inventor needing a Patent?
- Interested in competing for government contracts?